Special Needs Ministry
The Bridge at Grace Fellowhip is a place where all children, teens and young adults are welcome. Our ministry provides an opportunity for a family to attend worship with the assurance that their child/teen/young adult is being cared for and learning about God in a way that is relevant to them. The Bridge provides a Bible based curriculum that is adapted to meet the needs and abilities of our members.
"You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
(Psalm 139:13 - 14)
Here's what we are learning about in the next few months in The Bridge:
Dora Corley- Special Needs Director
281-646-1903 ext. 167
Opportunities for Special Needs Families
Sunday mornings - At Grace Fellowship, we are so excited to love on your child. We strive to meet the special needs of your child and show your child how much God loves him or her. In order to best meet your child's needs, we ask that you contact us prior to visiting Grace (Dora Corley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 281-646-1903 ext. 167) in order to provide the best care for your child. Our goal is to match your child with a buddy who will work with him/her each week either in an age appropriate classroom or in The Bridge Self Contained Classroom.
- Sunday mornings and evenings - Bridge buddies accompany special needs youth to Sunday Morning Rush (Junior High Service) or RPM (Radical Praise Movement for High School students Sunday night service) for worship, teaching and fellowship.
- Respite Night - This is a quarterly event that allows the parents of special needs children a 3 hour break to go to dinner or a movie, etc. We start at 5:00 and finish around 8:00 on a Saturday evening. The kids are each assigned a buddy to be with them and enjoy crafts, snack, movie and playground time! For a preview of Respite Night, click here. This event requires an rsvp to ensure we have a buddy for each child.
- Special Needs Small Group for Parents and Small Group for Siblings This group will begin in the Fall of 2013. This is a great opportunity to meet other parents who face some of the same challenges you might be facing while studying the Bible together. Child care will be provided for this event.
- Summer Events - Throughout the summer there are fun-filled planned events and activies for our special needs kids to attend.
Sunday Mornings - On Sunday mornings, Special Needs volunteers - called Bridge Buddies - accompany their designated child through Kidz XD or join other Buddies in The Bridge Self-Contained Suite to facilitate a one-on-one experience with God's Word. Our older teens are accompanied to the Epi to participate in the Junior High Service called Morning Rush.
- Sunday Evening - Bridge buddies accompany special needs youth to RPM for worship, teaching and fellowship. The volunteer will need to arrive at the Epicentre at 5:00pm and finish around 8:00pm.
- Respite Night - This is a quarterly event that allows the parents of special needs children a 3 hour break to go to dinner or a movie, etc. It is a great volunteer opportunity for adults and teenagers. We start at 4:45 and finish around 8:10 on a Saturday evening. Each volunteer is assigned a special needs child. Your responsibility would be to play games, go to the playground, have a snack, do a craft and watch a movie with your child. This is a huge blessing to these families who cannot otherwise go out! If you sign up for this, your name will be added to Dora's group and she will send you an email to see if you are available to volunteer that month.